email through firewall

Has anyone had problems receiving email from there ISP through their
firewall ?

I have a pretty basic firewall with 2 nic cards.  On the inside of my
network I have a windows xp machine with outlook 2k.
All of my firewall rules seem to be working and I can browse the net /
telnet from inside the firewall to the internet.

For some reason when I try to receive mail, the mail client ( outlook 2k)
can not find the pop or smtp servers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Peter