Another Hardware Sizing Question

We have a subnet with a potential of 1022 hosts. Each machine is connected to a 100 Mbps switch. The connection from our subnet to the main university network is I believe OC-3, ~154 Mbps. There are currently less than 500 active machines on the network. They do the normal web brosing, and connect to NetWare and Domino servers outside the subnet. With that, the maximum traffic we've ever seen between our subnet and the rest of the world is about 40 Mbps.

We'd like to put all the boxes on our subnet behind and IPTables firewall and NAT them. We'd also like to take into consideration the possibility of the number of machines growing to ~1000. We have quite a few spare PIII 450 boxes setting around.

What would be the mininum, ideal, etc., hardware setup for this environment.

Thanks,

Jason Joines
Open Source = Open Mind