Re: Linux firewall hardware specs

On Friday 05 September 2003 13:10, Grant Moby wrote:
> There are about 100 users surfing the web, sending and
> receiving email over a 256k line, a couple of subnets,
> a DMZ, etc.

Okies, we're running a fully stateful netfilter firewall on an old P233 with a
2Mbps leased line, 10 very busy servers, another 50 desktop machines, and the
loadaverage is typically about 0.01.

With 'fprobe' running for more accurate 'NetFlow' traffic reporting, the
loadavg rises to 0.10, typically.

Even adding snort to the equation, the load settles at only 0.60 :)

I don't know how much extra load would be added by using cheap network cards,
but we have a pair of Intel 10/100s in the firewall, and the box has been
running flawlessly for months...

Cheers,
Gavin.