Re: finding out the culprit ip

Well, any easy quick way to identify the culprit, would simply be to use tcpdump...

according to http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f@xxxxxxx
sobig will attempt to get ntp at least once per hour

so something simple like;

tcpdump -n -i eth1 udp port 123 (assuming that eth1 is your internal interface and you aren't currently legitimately making outbound ntp requests on all your workstations :) )

or you could use netfilter to block the traffic and then check your logs

Lane www.rstack.net

Hi,
A particular machine in my LAN is affected by SoBig virus and is sending
mails to remote sites. I need to find that IP. The only lead I have is
that it is that IP which is generating maximum SMTP traffic. How do I
find it out and block it (or maybe clean it)?

Any ideas on this?
With warm regards,
-Payal