The correct use of scripts

Hi All,

I am fairly new to netfilter. Hopefully you do not mind me asking a couple of questions.

I can't quite get the full picture around the different locations of iptables scripts.

On my machine for instance i have.

/etc/sysconfig/iptables

/etc/init.d/iptables

/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables

Now i know that the /sysconfig file is configured by the service command i.e service iptables save

But how about the other two? And if i wanted to add a script that complimented the /sysconfig rules i have already saved where would i put it?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Luke