Re: Maximum Number of Chains

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 12:16:13AM -0400, Paul Caritj spoke thusly:
>Greetings, I hope everyone is well.
>Though I suspect the subject line adequately conveys my question, I will
>restate it: Does anyone out there know the maximum number of chains per
>table?

No idea what is the maximum. But the more rules you add, the slower the
additions become (I think Harald mentioned this previously).

Also, if you have a long list of rules (eg: 700 different rules within the
FORWARD chain) -- and you decide to remove rule #467. All the rules need to
be copied to a temporary area, rule #467 removed, everything from the
temporary buffer copied back. That adds to the slowness.

I think the devel guys are working on tweaking the table type used in the
2.5/2.6 kernels. They should be able to shed more information, or you can
dig through the archives.