>13MB netfilter forward CRASH

Greetings. I am not subscribed to the list yet, so please respond to my email address. if this get's hairier, I'll get on the list.

I am having the exact same issue Marcel de Boer posted about last month. I have a WiFi and ethernet network in the house. traffic from them is forwarded along by a central linux box (redhat9) that also is connected to the internet via a cable modem. I am running NAT internally to run off the one ip address my ISP provides. I do plenty of filtering on the internet interface, but forward along anything from the inside.

I have transferred files via FTP from the internet to the linux box as large as 6GB. when I try to FTP from a machine behind the linux box, the transfer goes fine until ~13MB then the linux box HANGS!

I do get some messages, but they happen periodically earlier in the transfer as well.

kernel: skb_p80211_to_ether: OTHER frame too large (1536 > 1500)
kernel: skb_p80211_to_ether: DIXII frame too large (1528 > 1500)

the same has happened from multiple boxen. any lowly windoze box I can find can bring my linux box to an absolute halt. ouch.

if it would help, I can test this with no iptables rules, but I can't imagine a different result.

so, did Marcel find the answer or maybe someone has other clues?

Kevin Lee Quinn
Technical Facilitator