RE: daisy chaining firewalls causes connection tracking problems ?

Hi,

I've done some further testing, and i'm still puzzled. i'm not inclined
anymore to think it's because of the 3 firewalls one behind the other, i
think it's maybe because of our network topology:

this is the error from the iptables logs:

Aug 13 13:31:26 dobermann kernel: -drop_the_rest-IN=eth1 OUT=eth1
SRC=172.21.3.18 DST=172.16.208.130 LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=127
ID=40929 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=6101 DPT=8361 WINDOW=8760 RES=0x00 ACK SYN URGP=0

as you can see, the traffic comes in via eth1 and leaves via eth1 (this is
just temporarily luckily). traffic to 172.16.208.130 is rerouted to the dmz
via another machine on the 172.21.x.x subnet

.
.
.

.... and then it suddenly dawned on me:

the traffic arrives at the destination via a different route than the
returned packets, so the last firewall never sees the SYN, only the ACK SYN.

grmbllll.

I'll go chew up a tree now.

Tom.