Re: a small quick and dirty solution

hello payal,

Generally the default policy of any firewall is kept as "Default Deny" and
then the administrator can open up the required ports. So any packet hitting
the firewall, it is examined against the ruleset base and if there is any
entry in the rules matching with that of the packet (for. eg.: the source ip
source port and the destination ip destination and also the mentioned
service). In the event when none of the existing ruleset is found to be
matching, then the firewall takes the action depending on the default rule,
which in most of the cases is DROP.
The definition of the DROP policy as per the tutorials on the netfilter site
is as below
"The DROP target does just what it says, it drops packets dead and will not
carry out any further processing. A packet that matches a rule perfectly and
is then Dropped will be blocked. Note that this action might in certain
cases have an unwanted effect, since it could leave dead sockets around on
either host. A better solution in cases where this is likely would be to use
the REJECT target, especially when you want to block port scanners from
getting too much information, such on as filtered ports and so on. Also note
that if a packet has the DROP action taken on it in a subchain, the packet
will not be processed in any of the main chains either in the present or in
any other table. The packet is in other words totally dead. As we've seen
previously, the target will not send any kind of information in either
direction, nor to intermediaries such as routers."
For further reference there is the link of that site
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html
For any further clarifications, do let me know.

Regards

Iyer Anantharaman
Senior Infosec Consultant

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:57:52 +0000, Payal Rathod wrote