Re: iptables and ads

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 05:38:35PM +0200, woksy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi people ! ;-)

Hi :-)

> I was just answering myself if i could stop ads loading from web pages such as
> yahoo, lycos, & co ? (i don't mean blocking popup, just stopping those boring
> ads from loading)

I think when you enter any application domain you'll better be off with
some solution at that (application) level. Use a transparant proxy and
block the communication there.

> I tried to do this with something like that:
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -s 216.73.92.112/32 -j drop-and-log-it

Well, the line above by itself is  not incorrect but:

0) what doesn't work?
1) what does drop-and-log-it do.
2) why do you kill the communication in INPUT? Not in OUTPUT?
3) Most of the ad stuff have a big DNS pool for the servers. I don't
   think your /32 catches them all.

Ramin