Re: discard TCP SYN

Le mer 06/08/2003 à 13:32, Michael K a écrit :
> Then I use stateful inspection, accepting estabished,related.
> However, the nessus scanner is reporting this:
> -----
> The remote host does not discard TCP SYN packets which
> have the FIN flag set.

SYN/FIN packets are valid according to RFC793. RFC specify that if RST
and ACK are not set, and SYN is set, packet must get treated as opening
a connection without examining other flags.

> Depending on the kind of firewall you are using, an
> attacker may use this flaw to bypass its rules.

Some people say that some firewalls may accept this kind of packets
through closed ports. That is not Netfilter's behaviour.

> Should I be worried?

Not with Netfilter.

--
http://www.netexit.com/~sid/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE