Re: Tux and netfilter

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 01:47:51AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen scribbled:
[snip]
> > clogged (it's configured to accept 50k connections, keep alives are at
> > 1000 since setting
>
> ..1000 seconds???  Shave off a zero or two, you should be able to serve
> any valid traffic within 5 seconds.
They are not 1000 seconds - 1000 keepalive slots tux keeps active around.
After there are more than that, it starts killing connections in the LRU
order.

> > them to 0 makes tux close any connection immediately, no logging
> > etc,). Apache sits on port 81 and when accessed directly it works
> > fine, that's good enough, but I'd like to do more. And here I come to
> > the real question I want to ask to the list. Is it possible and if
> > yes, then how, to redirect the offending packets from within tux to
> > the TARPIT chain?
>
> ..does your TARPIT traffic cost _you_ anything?
A little bit, a tiny bit. Works better than a DROP, actually. And it has the
added advantage that it ties resources of the attacker somewhat.

> > net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts=1
>
> ..also possible to lie and say the box is a crashing,
> or hung dead wintendo.
>
> > fs/file-max=70000
> > fs/dir-notify-enable=0
> > net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time=30
> > net/core/rmem_max=262143
> > net/core/rmem_default=262143
> > net/core/wmem_max=262143
> > net/core/wmem_default=262143
> > net/ipv4/tcp_sack=0
> > net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps=0
> > net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies=1
> > net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all =1
> > net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses = 1
> > net/ipv4/tcp_syn_retries = 1
> > net/ipv4/tcp_synack_retries = 1
> > net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_probes = 1
> > net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_intvl = 10
> > net/ipv4/tcp_max_syn_backlog = 64
> > net/ipv4/tcp_low_latency = 1
> > net/ipv4/tcp_abort_on_overflow = 1
> > net/ipv4/ipfrag_time = 30
> > net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout = 10
> > net/ipv4/tcp_max_orphans = 2048
>
> ..why so many?  Most of these would come from "google", no?
That's not a lot... Well, the ones that come from "google" constitute
perhaps 1/3 of the total. And I still have to think about the legit clients.

regards,

marek