RE: I'm having difficulty making port redirection work

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html

Read that tutorial very carefully and you'll pickup the differences of iptables to ipchains.

just remember that INPUT/OUTPUT are for packets going to and from the firewall ONLY, not forwarded or NATed packets unlike ipchains.. check the graphs and you'll see what I mean..

What your looking for is part of PREROUTING chain not INPUT and you forgot the -t nat switch.

iptables -A PREROUTING -i $INTDEV -t nat -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8888

try that.. and if all else fails.... LOG EVERYTHING!

Thanks,
George Vieira
Systems Manager
georgev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx