Strange Proc Entries

I have a firewall acting as an internet choke point, and I am seeing
strange readings while trying to track bandwidth usage.

I am using iptables extensively, and it seems that whenever iptables
rules have been applied to an interface, the 'transmitted bytes' field
does not increment in /proc/net/dev; the 'transmitted packets' field
does increment though.

I am using a Redhat 9 base of 2.4.20 and p-o-m on top of it. I have 3
4-port D-Link cards with the "sundance" driver installed.

Any help would be appreciated, as my lame bandwidth graph is pretty
hurting with just half the info!