Re: Possible dangerous flaw in the NAT howto

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 05:44:49AM +0300, Elver Loho wrote:
> I was on #netfilter (irc.freenode.net) earlier and asked about a
> possible flaw in the NAT howto, but got no reply (people sleeping?) so
> I'm just going to paste what I said here and go to sleep. (nearing 6am
> currently)
>

> <elver> I have a question about masquerading. The NAT howto gives an
> example like this: "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j
> MASQUERADE", but since it masks the packets that are outgoing on ppp0
> (by the destination IP, interface IP and netmask) then could that rule
> also be exploited by outside hosts tunneling?
> [...]

Well, using nat doens't mean that you don't want to use packet filtering
anymore, does it?

I mean, apart from your MASQUERADE rule you would still have a packet
filtering ruleset in the 'filter' table, just like on any normal non-NAT
firewall.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>             http://www.netfilter.org/