Seeing all packets

Hi -

I'm trying to do some firewalling on every packet that goes through our
firewall.  We're doing our filtering in the PREROUTING chain (not
recommended, I realize), because we must do our firewalling to determine
whether we need to NAT a request.  There are times when the NAT
PREROUTING chain is bypassed, and I'm not exactly sure why.  The docs
say that "it will be bypassed in certain cases," however I cannot
determine what these cases are.

Why are the packets getting sent past the NAT PREROUTING chain?
Is there a way to send all of the data through this chain?

Regards,
Paul