Problem: NAT table POSTROUTING chain not capturing some packets...

I'm using two internet gateways by routing policy:
ip rule from box2 table gateway2.
gateway2 table has default via gateway2.
main table has default via gateway1.
ip route flush cache of course.

Somehow some reply packets from box2 for a host on gateway1 has managed to go out gateway2 with the source address of interface on gateway1.

I'm having trouble identifying these packets on nat table POSTROUTING chain. None of those packets have src address of box2 or src address of the interface on gateway1. However in the mangle table POSTROUTING chain, I see that these packets have src address of box2.

Somehow the kernel has internally masqueraded the packets after mangle table POSTROUTING chain and forced these packets to skip the nat table POSTROUTING chain. How do I keep these packets from going out the wrong gateway?

I'm using kernel-2.4.21-rc6 and Netfilter CVS June 3, 2003 (iptables-1.2.8) and iproute-2.4.7-5