Re: can netfilter capture internal network packet?

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 06:37:50PM +1000, calvin wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I got a serious problem with my netfilter programe.
>
> what i am trying to do is capture a packet frmo A to B in the same network
> and direct it to QUEUE.
>
> My setup is
>
> A      B
>  \       /
>   \     /
>   HUB
>      | (eth0)
>    GW
>      |(eth1)
>
> is that possible to: when A send a message to B port 1700 (for example) ,
> the iptales in GW can grep the packet and put into queue for processing and
> put it back to the line?

no, of course not.  You seem to have a basic misunderstanding about
network topology.  A and B are on the same layer 2, they are never sent
through your gateway.  The GW is only involved when the packet needs to
be passed from one layer 2 segment to the other layer 2 segment.

> is that any way I can do what I want to do in module? in iptables?

No.  And this is not a limitation of iptables, it's a fundamental
principle of ethernet.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>             http://www.netfilter.org/