Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 8:56 AM
Subject: RE: Problem Found! - Firewall Rule

Your local IP is the same as the remote networks IP.. so how is the local machine to know that 192.168.0.55 or 66 or 32 is on the VPN!?

The only way I know is to proxyarp the ppp device that the vpn is running on.. I'm assuming it's PPTP so you could try this command when the VPN comes up :
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/$VPNDEV/proxy_arp

and this must be done on the VPN server too..
I've never done it this way with a VPN.. but you can only try it..

I'm surprised that anything really works properly the way you've done it because the firewall has 2 network devices with the same IP range.

Thanks,

George Vieira
Citadel Computer Systems Pty Ltd Systems Manager georgev AT citadelcomputer DOT com DOT au
Citadel Computer Systems Pty Ltd