From: Peter Pohlmann [mailto:peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 11:16 AM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Masquerade Problem

Hello list,

I have a problem with my masquerading.
Can someone supply me a basic configuration. I want to have the private network
open for everything.

The current rules are below. Works for pop ,http etc. But ftp is not proper and connecting to an outside
smtp server is a problem too. I can send very small emails but if some larger email or attachment it stops after transferring some kbs.  What am I missing here ?  The server is redhat 9 pppoe to the dsl modem.

#!/bin/sh

modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
modprobe iptable_nat
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

Thank you in advance,
Peter