Re: host names and IPs

In article <003301c305a1$c04ab1a0$0500a8c0@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Florian Effenberger <floeff@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

| I'm on Linux 2.4.20 with iptables 1.2.7a. I have a syntax as follows:
|
| ===
| iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s www.myhostname.com --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
| ===

What is it you're trying to do here? A packet with your source address
would be going through the OUTPUT table, no? An INPUT packet with your
own IP would be spoofed. Are you trying to accept DNS requests from
yourself, in tcp (instead of normal udp) mode?

| Now it seems that www.myhostname.com is resolved only the first time the
| rule is set and that a fixed IP address is stored.
|
| However, www.myhostname.com has a dynamically assigned address and I would
| like to have iptables resolve the IP address everytime.
|
| Is that possible? If yes, how? Or will it produce too much load?

There are several ways to re-resolve it, but I'm not clear on why you
don't just specify by interface.

How about some clarification on what you're trying to do, rather than
how you want to do it?
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc