Re: [OT?] iptables <-> shorewall equivalence and zones

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:49:49 -0400 (EDT),
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<Pine.LNX.4.44.0304191340000.28238-100000@xxxx>:

>   perhaps more a shorewall firewall question than strictly iptables,
> but i'll give this a shot.
>
>   i was curious about using shorewall to set up my iptables rules
> since it seemed to have a fairly direct equivalence to the basic
> iptables rules, and wouldn't require a lot of translation.
>
>   from what i see, the shorewall package is based on defining
> what it calls "zones", and you get to set policies and rules
> based on the traffic that's allowed between one zone and another.
> so far, that maps to iptables nicely.
>
>   however, it *appears* (and i stress "appears") that zones
> are defined as being what lives beyond an interface, and you can't
> get more detailed than that.
>
>   in a single host case, there would be two zones -- out there
> ("net"), and "fw", the host itself (the host always being considered
> the "fw" zone).  but this doesn't seem to be sufficient for what
> i'm trying to do.
>
>   currently, i have a single RH 9 box, on an in-house LAN.
> the LAN connects thru a linksys hub to the outside world.
> so, from my perspective, i'd like to think i have the following
> zones:
>
>   fw)	my RH 9 box itself

..this one has how many nic's?

>   lan)	the internal in-house LAN (192.168.1.x)
>   hub)  the linksys hub itself
>   net)  the internet out there in the big bad world
>
> certainly, with straight iptables rules, i can define rules
> to accept or reject traffic to and from these entities.  but i don't
> see how shorewall will let me define zones that aren't immediately
> adjacent to this host (that is, that don't map directly to an
> interface).
>
>   if that's not possible, then i might as well stick with
> straight iptables rules.
>
>   thoughts?
>
> rday

..you want at least 2 nic's in your fw and put your lan, dmz,
_and_ hub inside your fw, because the scriptkiddies will see
whatever hangs outside your fw's external nic.

..myself, inside my 802.11 link, I have a shorewall on RH-7.3 on a
laptop, inside that I have an old stop gap box running ipcop-1.3beta4,
(I'm trying to get ipcop.org do 802.11 and shorewall and decent
bandwidth throttling and squid delay pools, and add a nat off|on
switch) inside these 2 is my lan.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: