Re: Re(2): Need for GLIBC 2.3?

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:37:47 -0700,
Carol Anne Ogdin <caogdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<OFFF8865C2.2434357B-ON88256D0C.004E3CB8-88256D0C.00505D66@xxxxxxxxxxxx
m>:

..I'm on the netfilter list, so no need to duplicate to my private
email for _that_ purpose.  ;-)

> On Apr 18, Arnt Karlsen) wrote:
> > From arnt@xxxxxxx  Fri Apr 18 03:53:40 2003
> > From: arnt@xxxxxxx (Arnt Karlsen)
> > Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:53:40 +0200
> > Subject: Need for GLIBC 2.3?
> > On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:41:04 -0700,
> > Carol Anne Ogdin <caogdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > <OFCE07B0DA.63D2DEA4-ON88256D0C.0002759A-88256D0C.0003C28A@
> > deepwoods.com>:
> >
> > > Red Hat 7.3 (v2.4.18) supplies iptables v1.2.5, which relies on
> > > glibc v2.2.5.  I'd like to apply the rpm for v1.2.7a, but the RH
> > > distro demands glibc v2.3.
> <snip>
> > >
> > > What would you do?
> >
> > ..'rpmbuild -ta iptables-1.2.8.tar.bz2' or somesuch,
> > should use what you have in your box.
> > You _may_ have to chuck in a few *-devel.rpm's etc,
> > rpm should whine which to 'rpm -ivh'.
> >
> <snip>
>
> Thanks, Arnt, but that doesn't seem to get me where I need to go.
> when I run the command you recommend, I get
>       error: Name field must be present in package: (main package)
>       error: Version field must be present in package: (main package)
>       error: Release field must be present in package: (main package)
>       error: Summary field must be present in package: (main package)
>       error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)
>       error: License field must be present in package: (main package)
> rpmbuild's -vv option produces nothing more detailed that this.

..no .spec file in the tarball???  Which tarball? (url?)

> Not having any experience as a developer in Linux, I'm feeling
> overwhelmed by what I don't know.

..I'm no developer.  ;-)
Except of course in thermochemical gasification, where I _am_ a guru:
http://www.crest.org/discussion/gasification/199903/msg00055.html ;-)

..heh, GNU/Linux hurts at first, it _does_ take un-learning the nice
and easy bad habits from wintendo.  ;-)

..but it is worth it, you get away from letting the wintendo guys
and the scriptkiddies have their way with you as _they_ please.

> --Carol Anne

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: