Re: Filtering PPP traffic

Hello,

The bridge we use is the kernel patch provided by http://bridge.sourceforge.net
On the card side, we use Ethernet over ATM bridging (RFC 1483/2684 kernel module). It emulates an "Ethernet like" device : nas0.
The pppOE daemon sits in the VM where it reads and writes ppp frames on a virtual eth device created with TAP (http://Vtun.sourceforge.net).
The official address is carried by this virtual eth device.
The bridge forwards pppOE packets between the nas0 and the tap0 devices.
The goal is to use a bridged firewall. That means : a FireWall which is not visible from the external network.

The problem is to be able to filter the pppOE packets that flow across the bridge.

--
Francis GASCHET / NUMLOG
http://www.numlog.fr

Thanks for any help.

SBlaze wrote:

You should be able to filter at the "eth0" level of your diagram...

I kinda need more information on your "BRIDGE" before I could suggest something
else.. If by bridge you mean it bridges the DSL modem and the LAN...then your
eth0 is in the same machine you are calling a bridge?

In that case you should theoretically filter the eth0 device

--- Francis GASCHET <fg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi list,

Is there somebody who knows a possibility to apply netfilter rules to ppp packets ?

Configuration :

DSL - PCI modem card - BRIDGE - eth0 (in a virtual machine)

I would like to filter the traffic which flows across the bridge, but at this level, the IP traffic is encapsulated...

Any clue ?

Ciao.