redirection with squid

I have read the transparency How-To  and it doesn't apply to my situation. I
have a linux gateway that is also the default route for all workstations. I
also have a linux box running squid that has 2 interfaces one private and
one internet routable. So far I haven't been able to redirect my clients to
the squid box. Lay out:

        inet----linuxgateway----(private IP)

                    squid<eth1>----(privateIP)

the squid box has a routeable internet IP for eth0 and a private IP for eth1
(192.168.1.0) in fact both squid and linuxgateway have private 192.168.1.0
networks. I just need to redirect packets with destination port 80 to the
squid box so it gets proxied out. If I change my broswer proxy to squid:3128
works fine. Im thinkin policy routing maybe?

Thanks,
Mike