Re: What ports need to be open to allow for mail?

>I'm trying to set up my mail server; however I want to
>make sure that I have the correct port(s) open. I
>already have TCP port 25 open; however do I also have
>to have UDP port 25 open as well? Any help would be
>appreciated.

Extract from /etc/services:

SMTP:
smtp            25/tcp          mail
smtp            25/udp          mail
smtps           465/tcp                         # SMTP over SSL (TLS)

POP:
pop2            109/tcp         pop-2   postoffice      # POP version 2
pop2            109/udp         pop-2
pop3            110/tcp         pop-3           # POP version 3
pop3            110/udp         pop-3
pop3s           995/tcp                         # POP-3 over SSL
pop3s           995/udp                         # POP-3 over SSL

IMAP:
imap            143/tcp         imap2           # Interim Mail Access Proto v2
imap            143/udp         imap2
imap3           220/tcp                         # Interactive Mail Access
imap3           220/udp                         # Protocol v3
imaps           993/tcp                         # IMAP over SSL
imaps           993/udp                         # IMAP over SSL

Now, make you picking, standard answer is:
25 for SMTP
110 for POP3
143 for IMAP

/Kim