new tcp connections, without SYN

Hi all. Two days ago, i added the policy that drops all new tcp connections
that starts without SYN to prevent port scaners and other attacks:

iptables -A bad_tcp_packets -p tcp ! --syn -m state --state NEW -j LOG \
--log-prefix "NEW tcp try no SYN:"
iptables -A bad_tcp_packets -p tcp ! --syn -m state --state NEW -j DROP

Now the system is registering this event every minute from diferents ip.
Is this usual?. What kind of programs tries to start a new tcp connection
without a SYN ?.
Im no so worried because scaning the ports of my server from another computer
in the internet, using nmap , the answer is that all ports al filtered.

Another question: I had disabled the icmp answers :
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts
to try to be "invisible" for some wicked programs .
will i have problems with some other programas that makes ping
before establish a connection?

Thanks in advance