OT: video cards, was: more questions about kernel config optionsfor iptables

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:11:23 -0400 (EDT),
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<Pine.LNX.4.44.0304081107590.11474-100000@xxxx>:

> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Joel Newkirk wrote:
>
> > OT - are there any plans to bring video card options together,
> > instead of the current scheme where they are scattered through
> > Character Devices, Multimedia Devices, and Console Drivers?
>
> <sigh>.  i was looking at that and, as i mentioned, took a crack
> at reorg'ing the filesystems menu in the most recent 2.5.6x
> kernels.
>
> sadly, that was pretty easy since the Kconfig files and associated
> source files were in the same directory.  so cleaning up a *single*
> menu or submenu is not hard.
>
> but it's clear that there is stuff scattered all over the menu
> structure that should be related.  the difficulty there is that
> different people are responsible for different subsystems,
> and look after their own directory structure.  so that makes it
> *way* more difficult to bring together options in distant
> menus.
>
> i'm trying to do this a little at a time; hence the attempt
> to deal with the netfilter stuff as a start.  one level higher
> up, it's clear that the entire networking options menu could
> stand some cleaning.

..ok, I the video newbie volonteer as guineapig with:
Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage IIC AGP
(rev 122).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=8.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xea000000 [0xeaffffff].
      I/O at 0xd000 [0xd0ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe9000000 [0xe9000fff].

...and:
Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage II+
215GTB  [Mach64 GTB] (rev 154).
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=8.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0ffffff].
      I/O at 0x6600 [0x66ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe1000000 [0xe1000fff].

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: