From: Joel Newkirk [mailto:netfilter@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 12:42 AM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: iptables wishes

I haven't started a new thread here in ages, and this is something I've
been toying with for a while.  With the recent announcement of a
feature-freeze on iptables 1.2.8, this seemed a reasonable time to start
this thread.  (targeting later releases, obviously, and hoping to spark
some constructive discussion :^)

I was curious to hear what people might have as a 'wishlist' for
iptables/netfilter capabilities.  Every once in a while something comes
up here that simply doesn't seem to have a good solution.

My hope is that many of our personal wishes may already be possible, and
by voicing them someone who has a solution may post it.  And for any
that don't presently have an answer, perhaps someone will be inspired to
create one.

Personally I have four:

1 - revamped LOG entry format, especially cleaning up MAC.

2 - completely separate netfilter logging from kernel log streams.  (not
just redirecting infrequently-used kernel streams, but actual dedicated
netfilter streams)

3 - Ability to match "original DestinationIP" of a DNATted packet in
subsequent chains.  Useful with a single physical interface but multiple
IPs bound to it.

4 - addition of support for a REM field in rules.  Would do nothing
whatsoever except print the specified REMark text at the end of the rule
in -L listings.  Something like:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -s a.b.c.d -j ACCEPT -REM JoelSSH So
that a -L listing could be easier & quicker to decipher sometimes.  It
would also allow "iptables -L -v -n | grep Joel" to list only rules, in
all chains, with "Joel" in the comment.