how can we do protocol validity checks? [Ref: RFC 2979]

Hello Everyone,

I was going through the RFC 2979[Behavior of and Requirements for Internet
Firewalls]. There was a statement in the RFC saying firewall may "perform
extensive protocol validity checks". How does iptables/Netfilter handle
this one? Does the unclean match support this? If so what are the
protocols that unclean match support?

I checked the man page, there is no much explanation regarding the same.

Narendra.

Narendra Prabhu. B
DeepRoot Linux
http://www.deeproot.co.in