RE: Traffic Reflecting / Redirecting

I tried this, but for some reason it did not work, I was unable to ssh
in...

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Chemko [mailto:dchemko@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 4:48 PM
To: Andrew Brink; netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Traffic Reflecting / Redirecting

If you have a single entry point and a single IP address, this is a
non-issue.

iptables -A PREROUTING -j DNAT -p tcp --destination-port 22
--destination 10.1.1.1 --to-destination 192.168.1.1

If you have multiple gateways that a PC can use to get out of a network,
there is no guarantee that the return packet will take the correct path
back through 10.1.1.1. In this case I don't believe there is a way to
accomplish this with total transparency.

You can use an SNAT rule to make 192.168.1.1 see the middle party, but
the originating host would still be unknowing of any NAT occurrences.

Hope this helps.