Re: [Bridge] iptables - bridge - physin

On Thursday 03 April 2003 03:05 am, Jochen Vogel wrote:
> hi,
>
> i use:
>
> -RedHat8.0
> -kernel-2.4.18-26.8.0
> -libnet1.0.2a
> -iptables-1.2.7a
> -snort-inline1.9.1-2

(Joel originally replied)
> > No option, just reference them directly.  You can use any of
> > the three interface names, IE eth0,eth1,br0 in your rules.
>
> what do you mean with reference directly

If you try to match "-i eth0" and the packet arrived on eth0 it will
match, whether you are bridging or not.  As mentioned below (I don't
know whose reply you folded into mine?) things are different if you are
running a 2.5.x kernel, but with 2.4.x, RedHat8 and bridging you can
just use the physical interface with "-i" and "-o" matches.  You can
also test "-i br0" and match packets inbound on either physical
interface bound to the bridge.

(someone else replied)
> > In the 2.4 patch you can just use -i and -o, for the 2.5
> > standard kernel, you need to use the ipt_physdev module (the kernel
> > module is in
> > the standard 2.5 kernel, the userspace module is in the iptables CVS
> > (standard make is enough)).
>
> what should i do?
>
> in my iptables script i use -i eth0
> in my log the packet dropped because (IN=br0 PHYSIN=eth0) IN doesn´t
> match

It seems likely that the packet drops are for another reason.  Try:

iptables -I FORWARD 1 -i eth0 -j LOG --log-prefix "FWDeth0:"
iptables -I INPUT 1 -i eth0 -j LOG --log-prefix "INeth0:"
iptables -I FORWARD 2 -i eth1 -j LOG --log-prefix "FWDeth1:"
iptables -I INPUT 2 -i eth2 -j LOG --log-prefix "INeth1:"
iptables -I FORWARD 3 -i br0 -j LOG --log-prefix "FWDbr0:"
iptables -I INPUT 3 -i br0 -j LOG --log-prefix "INbr0:"

You should see that the packets match one of the first four rules and are
logged as such, and also match one of the "br0" rules.  (presuming you
are using eth0, eth1, and br0)  "-i eth0" will match packets that come
in physical interface eth0 and they are logged as "IN=br0 PHYSIN=eth0".