Re: Bridge with iptables

On Thursday 03 April 2003 09:44 am, hare ram wrote:
> Hi
>
> iam trying to setup a bridge with iptable
> i have setup the transparent bridge,
>
> and iam try to mark the http packets for QOS
> iam not able to see the packets
>
> i was going through the Lartc.org
> some where i read at this stage ( kernel 2.4.18-27 Redhat iam using)
> bridge will not support iptables.
> it will support only on kernel 2.5, is this true
>
> if false, where can i get the right documentation which help me to
> setup bridge with packet filtering

It is possible to patch the 2.4.x kernel.  Then you select "802.1d
Ethernet Bridging" and "netfilter (firewalling) support" when
configuring the kernel.

You need to download the br-nf patch and patch the kernel source with it.
It is available at:
http://bridge.sourceforge.net/

The file you are looking for is:
http://bridge.sourceforge.net/devel/bridge-nf/bridge-nf-0.0.7-against-2.4.19.diff

The documentation I successfully followed to build a transparent
filtering bridge with a 2.4.x kernel is:
http://www.think-future.de/DOCUMENTATION/Ethernet-Bridge-netfilter-HOWTO/

I browsed other documents, and found another well-written one that
covered the initial steps well, but when I tried to bring the bridge
interface up using those instructions it failed.  The above link's
approach worked painlessly, and it took about 25 minutes from download
to a working filtering bridge, which now sits between an ISP and the
internet.