AW: iptables wishes

> 4 - addition of support for a REM field in rules.  Would do nothing
> whatsoever except print the specified REMark text at the end
> of the rule
> in -L listings.  Something like:
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -s a.b.c.d -j ACCEPT -REM JoelSSH
> So that a -L listing could be easier & quicker to decipher
> sometimes.  It
> would also allow "iptables -L -v -n | grep Joel" to list only
> rules, in
> all chains, with "Joel" in the comment.

Oh yes, that is a good idea.

two wishes from me:

could it be possible to display the line number of a certain rule in iptables -L -n -v additional to -REM target?
I think this would very much help to find the rules quicker in the iptables scripts when editing with a text editor.

Generally I think this is a problem of too large rule sets. Is there a way to make containers of src/dst addresses? e.g. like this:

container_untrusted_dns="ip.addr.A, ip.addr.B, ip.addr.C"
container_trusted_dns"ip.addr.D, ip.addr.E"

iptables -A FORWARD -p 6 -m state -s $container_trusted_dns --sport 1024: -d $container_untrusted_dns --dport 53 -o $waneth --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Thanks,
Philipp