Re: iptables wishes

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 05:17 am, Martin Josefsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 10:41, Joel Newkirk wrote:
> > Personally I have four:
> >
> > 1 - revamped LOG entry format, especially cleaning up MAC.
>
> see the next remark.
>
> > 2 - completely separate netfilter logging from kernel log streams.
> > (not just redirecting infrequently-used kernel streams, but actual
> > dedicated netfilter streams)
>
> use ULOG
> you can easily modify the format it uses for the logfile.
> that part of the source isn't complicated at all.

Thanks.  Digging further into ULOG is something that's been on my to-do
list for a while now.  I'm interested in setting up remote logging such
as is possible with syslog.  If necessity doesn't drive me to it sooner,
I'll probably attack this in a few months.

> > 3 - Ability to match "original DestinationIP" of a DNATted packet in
> > subsequent chains.  Useful with a single physical interface but
> > multiple IPs bound to it.
>
> Already there, look at the conntrack match (ipt_conntrack)

Wow.  Never found this before, but I see it in the source for the CVS
version I just downloaded, and after looking again I found it in the
Netfilter Extensions HowTo.  Thanks!