Problem with DNAT --to-destination of --icmp-type router-solicitationpackets ?

Hi,

I'm having getting iptables/netfilter to forward on icmp router-solicitation requests, and wonder if anyone could offer any suggestions. Here's the situation (in case I shouldn't be solving my problem this way!):

host1 -------> host2 --------> host3 ---------> rest of he world
client    ppp  gateway     eth     router

Hosts 1, 2 and 3 are all using addresses on the same subnet. Host1 is using host2 as it's default route, and host2 is configured to do IP forwarding. The pppd on the gateway machine has set proxyarp so that host3 can also see (via unicast) host1. Now, host1 is trying to discover the router host3 by sending out a icmp router-discovery request (for MobileIP; addressed to 255.255.255.255). This message gets sent down the ppp link to host2, which doesn't send the request further since it came from a point-to-point link. I want to use iptables to forward the request on from host2 to host3 (which will then unicast a reply back to host1 with a router-advertisement message).

Now, I managed to get iptables/netfilter to do this with icmp ping packets designed to look almost like router-discovery packets (i.e. with ping -t 1 -b 255.255.255.255) like this:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING --protocol icmp -j TTL --ttl-inc 1
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --protocol icmp -j DNAT --to-destination ipaddr.of.host3

The first rule bumps the TTL by 1 to give the message the legs to make it to host3 from host1, while the second forwards the message on to host3. The result of this is that the broadcast ping packet (with initial TTL of 1) came into host2, got sent to host3 (you can see this tpcdump or ping -R) and returned to host1. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work with router solicitation messages. For some reason, only the first rule has any effect (i.e. its TTL does indeed get increased), but the DNAT redirection has no effect (no forwarded packets go out over the ethernet). Looking at the the iptables -t mangle -L -v and -t nat -L -v output confirms this: for --icmp-type router-solicitation packets the pkts column increases as packets are matched on the TTL target, but does not increase to indicate packets matched on the DNAT target.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening? Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Thanks
Duncan