Re: block kazaa

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 09:27:16PM +0000, paulc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The way I block Kazaa (and the other file sharing applications) is a
> blanket ban on all ports by default. I then open the ports as I think is
> appropriate at the firewall. These only include the port 23 for anyone
> wishing to use telnet. All web and ftp style ports on 80, 21 and the like
> are handled by a web-proxy to prevent using them for other purposes. All
> incoming connects (and lots of ICMP messages) are dropped by the firewall
> also.

In my personal experience, that still allows kazaa clients to download
files.  Uploads are prevented, and that's a good thing if you're
committed to stopping p2p traffic.  However it's only half a solution.

The reality is, fighting p2p traffic is a losing battle.  I suspect
that's one of those things that will have to be addressed by corporate
policy/enforcement and with host-based restrictions (don't let users
install software on their own boxes).

Kelly

--
Kelly Setzer, System Administrator/Architect - Placemark Investments
14180 Dallas Pkwy, Suite 200, Dallas, TX 75240