Re: state matching vrs prerouting.... ???

--- Cedric Blancher <blancher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le ven 21/03/2003 à 15:53, SBlaze a écrit :
> > # iptables -A INPUT -p udp -i eth0 -m state --state NEW,INVALID -j DROP
> > # iptables -A INPUT -p udp -i eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j
> > ACCEPT
> >
> > # CounterStrike NAT Line
> > #
> > iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 27015 -i eth0 -j DNAT
> > --to-destination 192.168.1.25:27015
> >
> > Ok the UDP filters physically come before my CounterStrike line. In reading
> > Oskar's tutorial I as under the impression that the nat tables rules took
> > precedence before the filter tables....
>
> They have. Moreover, there's no filter chain at NF_IP_PRE_ROUTING hook.
>
> > However the UDP rules drop the incoming CS requests before they are
> > prerouted... What gives?
>
> Once your packet has been handled by NAT stuff, it has to be authorized
> by filter stuff. In your ruleset, two things are quite strange to me.
>
> First, your filtering rules are in INPUT chain. As far as I understand
> your point, you are trying to nat CS stuff to an internal host. So
> packets will get routed, and so have to be filtered in FORWARD chain.
>
> Second, you drop packets with state NEW. If you do so, no one will be
> able to connect.
>

> --
> Cédric Blancher  <blancher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> IT systems and networks security expert  - Cartel Sécurité
> Phone : +33 (0)1 44 06 97 87 - Fax: +33 (0)1 44 06 97 99
> PGP KeyID:157E98EE  FingerPrint:FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE

 That is somewhat correct. What I read in Oskar's tutorial led me to believe
that i could preroute the CS requests so that they would in a sence bypass or
not pass through the UDP input filters. I am somewhat confused as to why they
do?

=====
"No touchy NO TOUCHY! Emperor Kuzko -=Emperor's New Groove=-"