Core Linux Router - NO NAT

I have a Linux router that consists of 4 T1ports and 1 ethernet.
This "Router" will act as an ISP core router doing Routing Only!
I wish to protect the box itself, while it preforms it's duties as a Router
allowing only ssh from the ip's that I wish for management.  This way I can
also setup rules to protect it form DOS attacks etc...
Now I have been thinking of this, but I can go two ways:
1.  Making it harder than it really is  -OR-
2.  Allowing it to be so easy it is not secure.

So any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Mark
marks@xxxxxxxxxx