Re: using iptables for poor-man's load balancing?

Hello Ian,

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 05:53, Ian Douglas wrote:
> We currently have two machines (soon to be 4) that we'd like to balance our
> web traffic to. Say for argument's sake that our public IP is 1.2.3.4 and
> our internal LAN machines are:
>   192.168.1.1
>   192.168.1.12
>   192.168.1.16
>   192.168.1.17
> Just curious if the following rules would work to round-robin the
> connections:
> [...]
> Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

I believe you can do that with the nth patch:
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/netfilter-extensions-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.9
Even though I wrote the original patch, it's been greatly improved by Richard Wagner
<rwagner AT cloudnet.com> who added support for multiple counters and support for
matching on individual packets. [That's why I say "I believe" the match can do it].
It should work. Let us know of the outcome.

Have a nice day,

Fabrice.
--
Fabrice MARIE

"Silly hacker, root is for administrators"
       -Unknown