how to add packet or byte couters to connection tracking module

Hi,

I want to add a packet or byte counter to the connection tracking module
in netfilter. That is, I want to track how many packets and bytes having
been sent through one connection. Where should I start? Any examples will
be very helpful!

btw, is there a search engine on netfilter's web page? I think that's
really helpful if people want to search for previous work and discussions.

Thanks,
-chen

--
Xuan Chen