Re: rules disappear after a few seconds

On Monday 17 February 2003 01:46 am, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Ok, this one is bizarre. I have a small shell script to clear my
> iptables rules and then insert 9 rules. If I run my script and then do
> "iptables -n -L" my rules show up.
>
> If I keep doing "iptables -n -L" after about 10-20 seconds the rules
> disappear and I am left with three empty INPUT/OUTPUT/FORWARD tables.
>
> Where did my rules go? What made them disappear?

Does this happen if you add rules manually, from a console, or only from
the script?

I've never heard of any bug that could cause this, there must be
something that is explicitly removing the rules, or using "iptables -F"
or similar to flush rules from the chains.

If you have nat or mangle table enabled, try creating a rule in one of
them as well, and listing that table with "iptables -n -L nat" or "-L
mangle" and see if the same thing happens there.