RE: DNAT probs

The short answer is that you should be running a "DMZ" or internal DNS for
those 192.168.0.0 computers.  This way, it also takes an unnecessary load
off that firewall.  I'm no netfilter programmer, but it just has problems
exiting and entering the same interface.  It has to do with the way the
packets are marked during the masquerade process (I'm assuming you have MASQ
enabled on your public interface).  Anyway, I've found a not-so-elegant
solution, which again isn't recommended, but necessary for one of my setups:

Configure a second official IP (alias) on the interface going out to your
router.

Second, change either the DNS entry for all your DMZ computers to this new
official IP or your default route (plus your POSTROUTING and SNAT for
MASQuerading) to this new official IP.

Now, you should basically have your DMZ computers exiting/NAT as one of the
official IPs, and trying to enter back on the second of the official IPs.
Hopefully that will help, but I'd really suggest the internal DNS addition
to your network...

Khanh Tran
Network Operations
Sarah Lawrence College