Re: Rate my rules. Take a look ICMP only

--- Joel Newkirk <netfilter@newkirk.us> wrote:
> On Friday 07 February 2003 06:11 pm, SBlaze wrote:
> > Recently I created what I think are some pretty decent ICMP rules to
> > allow me to trace and ping outside of my network but not allow the
> > same kind of activities in...I think I did a pretty good job after
> > reading the tutorial
> >
> > You guys be the judge and let me know if there was better way for this
> > to be done.
> >
> > iptables -A INPUT -p ICMP -i eth0 -m state --state NEW  -j DROP
> > iptables -A INPUT -p ICMP -i eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED
> > -j ACCEPT
> > iptables -A OUTPUT -p ICMP -o eth0 -m state --state
> > NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>
> If you have DROP policy for INPUT you don't need the first rule, and the
> third should work just as well without any state matching at all. (The
> only additional state allowed through that ways is 'INVALID' which you
> should explicitly DROP if you are concerned about it)
>
> Regardless, you seem to have grasped how the state matches work, and how
> to use them to allow only desired connections.  These rules WILL impose
> the limitations you desire, so that rates as a success.

I thought of creating a rule that will drop invalid requests.... but I somewhat
worry about the "logability" of a single rule that would handle so much. If
something is invalid I would like to somewhat isolate as much information about
it as possible.

These rules do that for me...

# NMAP and Incoming connection Killer(SYN/RST)
# NMAP Xmas Tree scan Killer ( God bless Google )
# NMAP Null scan killer (got from a IPTABLES tutorial..confirmed via the web)
# NMAP Stealth FIN scan killer (this one was a hard one to figure out)

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn -m state --state NEW -i eth0 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --tcp-flags ALL FIN,URG,PSH -i eth0 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --tcp-flags ALL NONE -i eth0 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp ! --syn -m state --state NEW -i eth0  -j DROP

The SYN/RST also stops all incoming connecctions that are not already related
or  established.

I also have limited logs for these rules. If say I just set up an ALL protocol
INVALID drop line.... could I just comment out the above rules and have the
INVALID drop the scans... and the others still log? Is there anything that
slips through the INVALID targets these might catch? I guess I worry about can
one line stop ALL the baddies coming in so to speak.. especially since i have
grown to trust the above rules.

Thanks to all out there reading and posting up

=====
"No touchy NO TOUCHY! Emperor Kuzko -=Emperor's New Groove=-"