input/output chains ??

Hey ppl,

Its been a while since I last posted, I have made my installations (iptables, ACID, MySQL) and everything is working fine on my home network.

I have been working at a college campus with some 3,000 users and want to set up my machine with RH 8.0 and iptables to keep unwanted recons. I only have one NIC (eth0) with the DHCP client obtaining my machines ip configuration.The question that I have pertains to the chains. Would the rules be written on the output chain for my machine....example

iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -j ACCEPT    # allowing all internal communications out eth0

With this rule on the input chain....example

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT  # to allow internally initiated connections back in

Of course any communications that I would want to initiate to my machine from another source would require a rule on the input chain, which brings me to another question, can I write a rule that will only accept communications on the input chain from a machines mac address, and to keep matters simplistic, set up a RELATED,ESTABLISH rule on the output chain so that particular communication can go back out??

Could this be this simple? Or, does this get more complicated than I realize?? By the way, all (input, output, forward) chain policies will be set to drop.

Ppl, your input and insight will be, most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim Rodriguez
Network Security Student