RE: Measuring traffic that goes thrugh a specific IP

Assuming I'm understanding everything you are saying,

You'd probably want to set up an interface on your local linux router that
will be used when routing traffic to this specified IP that is elsewhere.
Of course you'll next want to set a route to route all traffic to this
specific IP on this new interface.  This will isolate the traffic between
your local network and this specific IP to only that interface.  You could
then either use ifconfig, or cat /proc/net/dev to calculate the number of
packets, bytes, etc that traverse that interface.  I've even seen Perl
scripts that will take that data and send it to MRTG for some nice graphs.
I use that on my network to get stats from our campus routers.

Khanh Tran
Network Operations
Sarah Lawrence College