Re: Cable and ISDN connection

But can iproute2 and iptable co exist together. What I meant is, let I used iproute2 to route the traffic. I also need to do SNAT of the
packets. So I need to do SNAT as well as routing.

regards
Blesson Paul

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 01:03 am, Blesson Paul wrote:
> Hi
>                  I am using NetFilter for connecting from the LAN to
> the Internet. We have a linux server and using the NAT(SNAT) feature
> and that linux server is the gateway. Presently we have cable
> connection. We need to have a backup method if the cable connection
> fails. For that we subscribed a ISDN connection.  Now these are some
> of our  requirements
>
> 1)   Is it possible to have both connection(Cable and ISDN)
> simultaneously and Netfilter diverts the traffic from the LAN through
> both
> ISDN            and Cable.

Yes.  You might want to sit down and 'map out' what traffic would require
the static IP (if available) and what traffic would be prioritized to
the higher speed connection (if available)  If no preference really
stands out, you can simply load-balance, rather than devising priorities
for a queuing discipline.

> 2)   If the above is not possible, is it possible to connect through
> ISDN is something goes wrong with Cable connection
>         One problem here is that, for Cable connection, we have a
> constant IP address and for ISDN we have a dynamic address
>
>                  Is any of the above possible with IP Tables

No, this would be iproute2, although iptables might enter into the
picture for prioritizing connections.  Specifically the mangle
PREROUTING chain is useful for marking or changing TOS of packets using
different criteria than are available with routing control alone, such
as giving certain source IP's on the LAN priority, or certain types of
service lower priority than more speed-sensitive services.

A good starting point on learning what you need is http://lartc.org ,
Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control.  More specifically, for what
you are looking at doing, the how-to sections "Routing for multiple
uplinks/providers" and "Load balancing" will give you the general
answers to what you want.  They are on the same 'page' of the how-to at
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html .  The link
referenced at the very bottom of the page is useful as well, leading to
a handful of kernel patches that deal with issues including the loss of
one of the gateways, as well as a link to another how-to explicitly
setting up such an arrangement.