1:1 NAT

> What I am trying to do is like how its done on cisco PIX i.e
> "static (inside,outside) 208.15.232.12 192.168.1.167 netmask
255.255.255.255
> 0 0"

Cisco PIX does proxy-arp automatically if the external IP address in the nat
statement is not assigned on its outside interface. So, to build something
similar, what you need is to activate proxy-arp on your Iptables box and
publish on the external network the public IP address you want to nat which
are not physically assigned on the iptables box.

Following your example, suppose that your iptables Linux box have an
<fw_outside_address> on the external interface, eth0, different from the one
you want to nat, <public_address> (which is 208.15.232.12 in your example),
to an host in your internal network which has <internal_address>. Eth1 is
the firewall internal  interface with address <fw_internal_address>.

First you need two iptables rules, one for inbound packets and one for
translating outbound packets:

 iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -d <public_address> -j DNAT
--to-destination <internal_address>

 iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s <internal_address> -j SNAT
--to-source <public_address>

This is not sufficient for Linux and iptables to make the <internal_address>
host work on the internet as expected. We have to add commands to activate
proxy arp and to tell your firewall where the packets for <public_address>
have to be sent.

So, in the second step we have to pubilsh the <public_address> on the
external interface with the arp command:

 arp -Ds <public_address> eth0 pub

(If you like, I have a patched version of the Red Hat /etc/init.d/network
script which read and set static ARPs from a file, /etc/init.d/static-arp)

Finally the most important step consists in adding a static route on the
iptables box for the <public_address> toward the inside interface where the
internal host live:

 route add -host <public_address> dev eth1

This is the solution I have found working and that I'm using in a lot of
different network scenarios.
Hope this could help you.

Iok