Highly dynamic NAT source mapping

We have an application where thousands of outbound TCP connections are generated from multiple servers.  We are interested in mapping some, but not all of those connections to specific source addresses.

The idea is to run netfilter on a box between these servers & the internet with a  'userland' server process that would be able to add/delete address/port mappings for SNAT.  This user process would be contacted by the software running on the servers generating the traffic after they bind to a local address/port but before attempting to connect.  They would then contact this process running on the netfilter box and request a specific SNAT for their address/port to a specified address.  When the server closes the connection, it would contact the process running on the netfilter box and remove the mapping.

As you can see there would be a *large* number of updates to the SNAT mapping tables on the netfilter box.  My question is:

- Is this really doable?  Will the large number (possibly hundreds per second)  of table adds/deletes cause havoc on the linux box running netfilter, bringing performance to a standstill.

thanks

Paul