Re: How to let people see my webcam using Windows Media Encoder

Hi Jasper,

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:22:45AM +0100, Jasper Lingers wrote:
> Also when installed my IP is 192.168.1.6 but now is the thing how people
> can see my webcam from outside. I have no idea where the IPtables config
> file is also cause im using WebMin at the moment so if people could
> explain it me in steps, I would appreciate that.

first you have to know on which port your webcam-program listens.
I would guess it's a small webserver listening on port 80?

Then you just have to do:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.6:80

This redirects all incoming traffic destined for port 80 on your firewall to
port 80 on your internal windows-box. If you allready use port 80 on your
firewall for some sort of webserver, you can assign another port. For example,
you might want to redirect port 8888 to port 80 on you internal machine. Then
just do:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 8888 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.6:80

If your webcam-server doesn't listen to port 80, adapt the 192.168.1.6:n part
accordingly.

> I a totally n00b with compiling kernels and stuff, but if it is possible
> to run a program or edit IPtables or so, please help me out, I need it
> get to work for my parents :S

If you are using a recent distribution you don't have to compile any kernel
any more as long as you don't want bleeding-edge features.

> Power2All
> Holland

Umh? :-)

Hope that helps, Alex.

--
"Mr Data, when I said 'Fire at Will', I didn't mean for you to be so literal."
Instructions for use of this post: Insert tounge in cheek. Read as normal.